From the baptism of their child, when parents promise to raise their child in the Catholic faith, they begin Catholic education in their home. Parents, as primary educators of their children, also seek opportunities to deepen their own spirituality, as well as their child’s spirituality and understanding of the Catholic faith. Integral to a full understanding of the Catholic faith are weekly attendance at Mass, prayer within the home, and an active personal prayer life and relationship with God.
- The Youth Faith Formation program at Holy Cross assists parents in supplementing the learning that occurs at home by providing weekly classroom sessions in faith education. Using parents and parishioners as volunteer catechist/teachers, Faith Formation endeavors to lead students to a closer relationship with Christ and Christ’s Church.
- The program also seeks to include works of service and justice, group prayer experiences and the building of friendship and fellowship with peers and adult mentors.
- Part of the faith education for Holy Cross students is the learning of certain basic Catholic prayers. There are prayers for each grade level that students should have memorized by the end of the school year. Catechists practice these prayers with their students however, parents should also work with their child at home to memorize them. Prayers will be sent home at registration.
CLASSES BEGIN WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 11, 2019
Class Sessions Offered (Preschool – 12th Grade)
Grades 1 – 5 Wednesdays from 4:30 – 5:30 / 6:00 – 7:00pm
Grade 6-8 Wednesdays from 4:30 – 5:30pm / 6:00 – 7:00pm / 7:15 – 8:15pm
Grades 9 – 12 Wednesdays from 7:15 – 8:15pm
How To Get Involved
There are several ways for parents, teens and parishioners to get involved. We ask that EACH parent serve in one of the following ways:
Catechist or Team Catechist – A Catechist has charge of a group of 8-12 students for a year of faith formation. We encourage team-teaching, which gives the opportunity for more personal attention for the students. Training is provided before the year begins, and ongoing support is also provided. Benefits include knowing you are making a difference in the lives of the parish community’s youth by sharing your faith! Also, for parents who are catechists or team catechists for the full-year, your fees for all your children are waived!
Coordinator – The coordinator of each session welcomes students as they enter, helps catechists gather supplies from the resource room, helps catechists with special projects when asked and take attendance for all the classes of the session. In addition, should discipline problems arise, the student may be sent to the coordinator for a brief “time-out” from class. The coordinator is given the responsibility of returning the student to class when they are ready. The coordinator lets the Faith Formation office know of any needs that the catechists may have.
In addition to the above, the following extra options are available:
- Help in the child’s classroom, if needed by the catechist
- Being a faith formation substitute catechist
- Helping with special events, field trips, or prayer services
Brenda Mears, Preschool – Grade 12, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call #701-282-7217
To obtain more information about faith formation registration, a registration form, a faith formation class schedule and a family handbook click on the links below.
Click here for 2019 Faith Formation Registration Form
Click HERE for electronic payment for Faith Formation
3rd Grade Confirmation/First Eucharist Forms